Commencement information is here:
2013 Chemistry Newsletter
The Department of Chemistry Newsletter is now available.
Read 2013 Newsletter
2013 Beckman Scholars Program
The UO Chemistry Department will be awarding prestigious Beckman Research Scholarships to qualifying undergraduate research students. 2013 Beckman Scholars Information
The UO Chemistry Department is no longer accepting applications for our Doctoral program for Fall 2014.Our next application cycle will open on September 1, 2014 and will be for Fall 2015. We do not offer a Spring start date.
To prepare for the application process: Please read all instructions before attempting to start the application process.
1. Take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam). The GRE general test (verbal, quantitative, analytical/writing) is required for all applicants. The GRE subject test is not required. Ideally, applicants should take the general exam in time for the official results to arrive on or shortly following the January 5th application deadline. Official GRE test scores must be sent directly to the Department of Chemistry by ETS. The code for the University of Oregon is 4846 and the code for the Department of Chemistry is 0301. Both codes must be used.
2. Take the TOEFL (international applicants only). Foreign students for whom English is a second language must have their TOEFL scores sent directly to the University of Oregon. The Department of Chemistry and University of Oregon require a minimum score of 620 for paper-based test or 105 for the Internet-based (iBT) version. The TOEFL code for the University of Oregon is 4846. No department code is needed.
3. Assess your interest in our faculty. While completing the departmental online application, you will select up to six Chemistry faculty members whose research is of particular interest to you. See Faculty Research Interests.
Submit the University of Oregon Graduate Application. Select the major Chemistry. A $50.00 non-refundable fee is collected by the Office of Admissions for the Graduate Admissions Application.
Note: Please keep your login credentials (username and password) from the Graduate Admissions Application in a safe place. You will need the same username and password to access the Supplemental Department Admissions Application.
Required Application Materials:
1. University of Oregon Graduate Application
2. Personal Statement: A 2-page statement of purpose. This should (A) discuss your main research interests, ideas, and questions; (B) explain your research experience and professional work and how it shapes your interest and future goals; and (C) state why you believe the University of Oregon is a good place for you to continue your research.
3. Three letters of recommendation: Our online application requests contact information for each reference. References will receive an email from us inviting them to fill out our online reference form. Letters can also be sent directly to: University of Oregon Department of Chemistry Graduate Recruiting Coordinator 1253 University of Oregon Eugene, Oregon 97403-1253
3. Transcripts: Scanned unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to your online application. Please include transcripts from all schools where you received college credit. If you would like to mail your transcripts, our address is: University of Oregon Department of Chemistry Graduate Recruiting Coordinator 1253 University of Oregon Eugene, Oregon 97403-1253. We will only require official transcripts after you have been accepted into our program and you decide to enroll here. At that time, we will require final degree transcripts, which are transcripts that show your degree and the date it was awarded.
4. General GRE scores: Official GRE results sent directly from ETS. We only require the general GRE, not the subject test. To have your results sent to us, please use the institution code; 4846, and the department code; 0301. If you have taken the test and are still waiting for your scores, you may leave this section blank. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, even for the computer test. Please plan accordingly.
5. Official TOEFL scores: (international applicants only) Official TOEFL results sent directly to our department. If you have taken the test and are still waiting for your scores, you may leave this section blank. Scores below the minimum requirement will not be considered for admission.
If you are a graduate or a current student of the UO Master's Internship program, please read the following instructions.
If you have a question about the application, please call 1-800-782-4713 or email our Graduate Recruiting Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.