- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Plant Biology. Fungal population genetics. October 2004.
- M.S. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Plant Biology. Fungal systematics. May 2000.
- B.S. St. Norbert College, De Pere, Wisconsin. Major in Biology. Cum Laude. Graduate of the Honors Program. May 1997.
- 2012-present. Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Uppsala University. Evolution and reproduction in Neurospora. Mentor: H. Johannesson.
- 2011–2012. Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Oregon. Genetics of sex determination in zebrafish. Mentor: J. Postlethwait.
- 2010–2011. Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Oregon. Genetic basis of sex-specific contributions to outcrossing success and male frequency in C. elegans. Mentor: P.C. Phillips.
- 2007–2010. NIH-NRSA Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Oregon. Genetic basis of variation in sex ratio, thus outcrossing frequency, in C. elegans. Mentor: P.C. Phillips.
- 2004–2007. Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Oregon. The role of inbreeding depression and purging in the evolution of mating systems. Also, the relationships among thermal preference, thermoregulatory precision, and fitness. Mentor: P.C. Phillips.
- 2000–2004. Dissertation research, UIUC. Reproductive mode and population genetics of Tetracladium marchalianum, an aquatic fungus. Advisors: C.A. Shearer and
- 1997-2000. Graduate Researcher, UIUC. Phylogenetic relationships of species within the aquatic fungal genus Halosarpheia and among related genera. Advisor: C.A. Shearer.
- Carl Trygger Foundation for Scientific Research, visiting scholar postdoctoral fellowship. Awarded 2011 and 2012 ($72,000).
- Royal Physiographic Society in Lund (Kungliga Fysiografiska Sällskapet i Lund) Nilsson-Ehle Fund. Awarded November 2012 ($14,300).
- Lars Hierta Foundation. Awarded December 2012 ($3,050).
- Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development at the National Institutes of Health. Awarded 2/2007.
- Campus Research Board Grant, UIUC ($17,933). April 2003. With C.A. Shearer.
- Francis M. & Harlie M. Clark Research Support Grant, UIUC ($1000). May 2003.
- Graduate College Master’s Thesis/Project Research Grant, UIUC ($250). Spring 1999.
- Herbert Holdsworth Ross Memorial Fund, Illinois Natural History Survey ($1000). April 1999.
Awards and Travel Grants
- The President’s Travel Grant from the Wallenberg Foundation (Rektors resebidrag från Wallenbergstiftelsen). $2100. 2012.
- Royal Physiographic Society in Lund (Kungliga Fysiografiska Sällskapet i Lund) Nilsson-Ehle Fund Travel Award. $2700. 2012.
- Postdoctoral Travel Award. Evolution of Sex and Recombination: in theory and in practice. $200. 2009.
- Gordon Conference on Quantitative Genetics and Genomics Scholarship. $500. 2008.
- Graduate Student Research Prize for an Oral Presentation, Mycological Society of America (MSA) Annual Meeting. 2004.
- Mentor Student Travel Award, MSA. 2004.
- Best Overall Talk, 6th annual Graduate Students in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Symposium, UIUC. 2004.
- Graduate Research Prize--Poster Presentation, MSA Annual Meeting. 2000.
Teaching Awards and Experience
- RADseq methodologies for ecological and evolutionary genetic studies. Assisted Julian Catchen and William Cresko. October 15-19 2012. GENECO, Lund University, Sweden
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, UIUC. (about the list) Fall 1998, Spring and Fall 1999, Spring and Fall 2000, Spring 2002, Fall 2003.
- Department of Plant Biology Teaching Award, UIUC. 2000.
- Graduate Teacher Certificate, Center for Teaching Excellence, UIUC. 1998. Training program to develop teaching skills and reflective practice. http://cte.illinois.edu/Programs/teach_cert/grad_teac.html.
- Plants, People and the Environment, Integrative Biology 102, UIUC. Teaching assistant (TA). 4 semesters 1999-2004.
- Introduction to Plant Biology, Integrative Biology 103, UIUC. TA. 2003.
- Evolutionary Survey of the Plant Kingdom, Plant Biology 304, UIUC. TA. 2002.
- Introduction to Plant Biology, Plant Biology 100, UIUC. TA. 2002.
- General Mycology, Plant Biology 372, UIUC. TA. 2001.
- Biological Sciences, Biology 100/101, UIUC. TA. 3 semesters 1997-1999.
- Chadwick Smith. 2011. University of Oregon. Undergraduate research. Male and hermaphrodite specific contributions of mating success in C. elegans.
- Levi Simonson. 2011. UO. Graduate student rotation. Sex determination in fish.
- Emily Ebel. 2010-2011. UO. Undergraduate research. Sexual conflict and sperm competition in C. remanei.
- Jessie Chiem. 2007-2010. UO. Undergraduate research. Identification of loci underlying temperature dependent fitness.
- Steve McNamara. 2007-2008. UO. Biology Honors Thesis. The response to selection on thermal preference in C. remanei.
- Jose Rojas. 2007. University of Chicago. Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR). Natural feeding habits of C. elegan.
- Jennifer Comstock. 2006. UO. SPUR. Evolution of C. elegans mating ability.
- Leanne Levoto. 2006. University of New Mexico. SPUR. Genetic diversity in C. remanei.
- Jenni Higashiguchi. 2005. University of Hawaii. SPUR. Evolution of mating systems.
- Kai Blaisdell. 2005. UO. Graduate student rotation. Genetic diversity in C. remanei.
- Levi Morran. 2005. UO. Graduate student rotation. Evolution of mating systems.
- Anderson, J.L., Adriana Rodríguez Marí, Ingo Braasch, Angel Amores, Paul Hohenlohe, Peter Batzel, and John H. Postlethwait. 2012. Multiple sex-associated regions and a putative sex chromosome in zebrafish revealed by QTL mapping and population genomics. PLoS ONE 7(7):e40701. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L., R.M. Reynolds, L.T. Morran, J. Tolman-Thompson, and P.C. Phillips. 2011. Experimental evolution reveals antagonistic pleiotropy in reproductive timing but not life span in Caenorhabditis elegans. Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences 66A(12):1300-1308. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L., L. Albergotti, B. Ellebracht, R.B. Huey, and P.C. Phillips. 2011. Does thermoregulatory behavior maximize reproductive fitness of natural isolates of Caenorhabditis elegans? BMC Evolutionary Biology 11:157. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L., and C.A. Shearer. 2011. Population genetics of the aquatic fungus Tetracladium marchalianum over space and time. PLoS ONE 6(1): e15908. [PubMed]
- Denver, D.R., D.K. Howe, L.J. Wilhelm, C.A. Palmer, J.L. Anderson, K.C. Stein, P.C. Phillips and S. Estes. 2010. Selective sweeps and parallel mutation in the adaptive recovery from deleterious mutation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genome Research 20:1663-1671.[PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L., L. Morran, and P.C. Phillips. 2010. Outcrossing and the maintenance of males within C. elegans populations. Journal of Heredity 101:S62-S74.[PubMed]
- Morran, L.T., B.J. Cappy, J.L. Anderson, and P.C. Phillips. 2009. Sexual partners for the stressed: facultative outcrossing in the self-fertilizing nematode C. elegans. Evolution 63:1473-1482. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L, L. Albergotti, S. Proulx, C. Peden, R.B. Huey, and P.C. Phillips. 2007. Thermal preference of Caenorhabditis elegans: a null model and empirical tests. The Journal of Experimental Biology 210:3107-3116. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L., J. Beever, and C.A. Shearer. 2006. Eight polymorphic microsatellite loci for the aquatic fungus Tetracladium marchalianum. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:703-707. [abstract]
- Campbell, J., J.L. Anderson, and C.A. Shearer. 2003. Systematics of Halosarpheia based on morphological and molecular data. Mycologia 95:530-552. [PubMed]
- Anderson, J.L. and C.A. Shearer. 2002. Halosarpheia heteroguttulat: anamorph and report from the Northern Hemisphere. Mycotaxon 82:115-120. [abstract]
- Anderson, J.L., W. Chen, and C.A. Shearer. 2001. The Phylogeny of Halosarpheia based on 18s rDNA. Mycologia 93:897-906. [jstor]
Presentations and Selected Posters
- Anderson, J.L., Hanna Johannesson. 2013. Neurospora tetrasperma mating-type chromosomes: Testing hypotheses on the effects of degeneration and introgression on performance. 27th Fungal Genetics Conference. Pacific Grove, CA. Invited Speaker.
- Anderson, J.L., Adriana Rodríguez Marí, Ingo Braasch, Angel Amores, Paul
Hohenlohe, Peter Batzel, John H. Postlethwait. 2012. Sex-associated regions and a putative sex chromosome in zebrafish revealed by QTL mapping and population genomics. Sex-determination systems: mechanisms and evolution. La Sage, Switzerland.
- Anderson, J.L., Matthew Rockman, Sarah Martha, Aki Odhera, Chadwick Smith, Leonid Krugylak, and Patrick Phillips. 2012. A genetic and experimental dissection of male frequency and mating success in C. elegans. Evolution of Caenorhabditis and Other Nematodes. CHSL. Invited speaker and session chair.
- Anderson, J.L., A. Rodriguez Mari, and J. Postlethwait. 2011. Sex determination and the determination of sex in zebrafish. Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE) Annual Meeting. Norman, OK.
- Anderson, J.L. 2011. Outcrossing in Caenorhabditis elegans: Identification of QTL and experimental conditions supporting male maintenance in a hermaphrodite dominated species. Department of Evolutionary Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Anderson, J.L. 2011. When to have sex: The evolutionary genetics of modes of reproduction. Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Oregon.
- Anderson, J.L., S. Martha, M. Rockman, L. Krugylak, and P.C. Phillips. 2010. How to be a successful male: Identification of QTL associated with male frequency and outcrossing frequency in C. elegans. Biology of the C. elegans Male. Madison, WI.
- Anderson, J.L., S. Martha, M. Rockman, L. Krugylak, and P.C. Phillips. 2010. How to be a successful male. SSE. Portland, OR.
- Anderson, J.L., S. Martha, M. Rockman, L. Krugylak, and P.C. Phillips. 2010. How to be a successful male. Evolutionary Biology in the Pacific Northwest. Port Townsend, WA.
- Anderson, J.L., J. Chiem, and P.C. Phillips. 2009. Fitness, temperature, and experimental evolution: identifying loci underlying fitness in C. elegans. SSE. Moscow, ID.
- Anderson, J.L., L. Morran, and P.C. Phillips. 2009. C. elegans males, not useless after all. Evolution of Sex and Recombination: in theory and in practice. Iowa City, IA.
- Anderson, J.L., J. Chiem, M. Rockman, L. Kruglyak, and P.C. Phillips. 2009. Use of RIL and RAD to identify QTL for male mating ability, outcrossing frequency, and fitness in C. elegans. Poster. Gordon Research Conference on Quantitative Genetics and Genomics. Galveston, TX.
- Anderson, J.L., S. Carvalho, H. Teotónio, and P.C. Phillips. 2008. Sex in unexpected places: natural variation in male frequency and its role in adaptation to a novel environment in C. elegans. SSE. Minneapolis, MN.
- Anderson, J.L., L. Albergotti, R.B. Huey, and P.C. Phillips. 2007. Variation in thermal preference among strains of C. elegans. Poster. 16th International C. elegans Meeting, Los Angeles, CA.
- Albergotti, L., J.L. Anderson, and P.C. Phillips. 2006. Does thermal preference maximize fitness? A test using natural isolates of C. elegans. Presented by J.L.A. at SSE. Stony Brook, NY.
- Anderson, J.L., W. Chen, J. Beever, and C.A. Shearer. 2004. Tetracladium marchalianum: sex, space, and time. MSA. Asheville, NC.
- Anderson, J.L. 2004. Population genetics of the aquatic fungus Tetracladium marchalianum: secrets from the deep revealed. Poster. North American Benthological Society Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada.
- Anderson, J.L. 2004. Population genetics of the aquatic fungus Tetracladium marchalianum: secrets from the deep revealed. 6th Annual Graduate Students in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Symposium. UIUC.
- Anderson, J.L., and C.A. Shearer. 2000. Phylogeny of Halosarpheia. Poster. MSA. Burlington, VT.
- Reviewer for Evolution , PLOS One, Molecular Ecology, and The Journal of Gerontology
- Grant review for NSF Evolutionary Genetics
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- Genetics Society of America
- Mycological Society of America