The Arecibo Message Explained
- The first set of symbols (colored Red)
represent the numbers from 1 to 10 reading
from right to left.
- The cluster in the center (colored Blue)
codes the atomic numbers for certain elements.
- These (colored Green) patterns represent
formulas for sugars and bases in nucleotides of DNA.
- The (colored Blue) vertical bar in the
center specifies the number of nucleotides in DNA.
- The double helix of DNA is represented by the (colored Red) curving lines
that go from the (sugars/bases) formulas to the human figure.
- The next set of symbols (colored Brown) represent the
human population (on the left) on Earth, a figure of a
human (in the center) and (on the right) the height of a human.
- Our Solar System (colored Red) is displayed next. The dot
representing Earth is displaced toward the human being.
- The Arecibo telescope dish (colored Blue) is transmitting
the message (colored Green) near the bottom of the picture. The
last set of symbols (colored Blue) give the diameter of the
Arecibo Radio Telescope.