Summer Institute Reading Lists
SIAP at the University of Oregon
July 8-13, 2013
Overview | Seminars | Keynotes | cfp | Schedule | Readings | Registration
Summer Institute Reading Lists for Seminar Sessions
The institute is organized primarily around our Seminar sessions. These panel sessions are plenary so that all attendeeds can participate together as a group. So as to facilitate discussion, seminar leaders have asked that attendees prepare in advance by reviewing the following readings. All participants are strongly encouraged to (re)familiarize themselves with the readings below.
Suggested Readings for Richard Shusterman's Keynotes
The keynote talks will develop themes across Shusterman's work in somaesthetics and pragmatism, represented in his two most recent titles:
- Thinking Through the Body: Essays in Somaesthetics (2012, Cambridge UP) (available to attendees for 30% off from the press)
- Body Consciousness: A Philosophy of Mindfulness and Somaesthetics (2008, Cambridge UP) (available to attendees for 30% off from the press)
Participants may also be interested in these titles:
- Practicing Philosophy: Pragmatism and the Philosophical Life (1997, Routledge)
- Pragmatist Aesthetics: Living Beauty, Rethinking Art (1992, Oxford/Blackwell)
- Shusterman's Pragmatism: Between Literature and Somaesthetics, Dorota Koczanowicz and Wojciech Malecki, eds. (2012, Rodopi).
- Art as Experience, John Dewey (1934)
- In addition to the discounts on Shusterman's two most recent books above, Cambridge Univ Press is offering attendees a discount on other pragmatist titles including the Cambridge Companions to Dewey and James -- we will have order forms at the conference table.
William James Sessions Recommended Readings
James and Feminism:
James and Energy:
- Charlene Haddock-Seigfried, "The Feminine-Mystical Threat to Masculine-Scientific Order" ([alternate version]), Ch. 6 of Pragmatism and Feminism: Reweaving the Social Fabric
- William James, "On a Certain Blindness in Human Beings" (or find it in The Writings of William James)
- Optional: WJ, "Pragmatism & Humanism" from Pragmatism
- Optional: WJ, "The Moral Philosopher and the Moral Life"
- Optional: WJ, "The Energies of Men"
- Optional: WJ, "Great Men and their Environment"
- Optional: WJ, "The Importance of Individuals"
- Optional: WJ, "What Pragmatism Means" from Pragmatism
- Optional: WJ, "The Gospel of Relaxation"
- Optional: WJ, chapters on 'Habit', 'The Stream of Consciousness', and 'The Self' in Psychology: Briefer Course
Recommended Readings for American Indian Philosophy Sessions
Recommended Readings for Philosophy and Music Events
For Doug Anderson's talk:
For Fred Maus's talk:
For Lucky Dragons' performance:
- Fred Maus, Music, Gender, and Sexuality" in Martin Clayton, Trevor Herbert, and Richard Middleton, eds., The Cultural Study of Music: A Critical Introduction, Routledge, 2011, pp. 317-329.
- Fred Maus, "Somaesthetics of Music" in Action, Theory, and Criticism for Music Education 9, 1 (January 2010), pp. 9-25