The Marine Biology Honors Program
An honors degree in marine biology requires laboratory and/or field work which is supervised by a faculty member. If you are interested in undertaking a marine biology honors project you should contact the OIMB faculty member with whom you wish to work. To qualify for the marine biology degree with Honors, students must meet the following requirements.
1. Completion of all the requirements for the major in marine biology.
2. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 for all biology courses applied to the major.
3. All biology courses used to satisfy the marine biology degree requirements must be taken for letter grades.
4. A minimum of 6 credits of BI 401 research over at least three terms of research; one of these terms can be accomplished on the main campus while the thesis is being written. That term may, however, require periodic visits to OIMB.
5. Completion of a thesis, based on laboratory and/or field research that is approved by the OIMB faculty advisor and one other member of the OIMB faculty. A copy of the thesis is to be submitted to the OIMB library.
6. A public defense of the thesis at OIMB.
7. Students must register for the honors program before research begins using this form.