|Researchers||Mir Residents||History||Business||Book List||Home Page|
|Mir Site Index||Old Mir Photos||Recent Photos||Memorial site||Mirer Societies||Memoirs|
Yeruchom Levovitz, together with Rabbi Finkel, was head of the
Mir Yeshiva until his death in 1936. Descendants of Rabbi Levovitz
went to Mir many times in recent years. They located the rabbi's
grave, rebuilt his memorial, and have erected a wall around the
Jewish cemetery. They have provided these photos and information
on Mir. Memorial
Views of Mir in 1990s
Mir, in recent years may resemble the Mir of our ancestors in some ways. In the large courtyard where there were once three synagogues, the buildings remain. The "cold shul" is a school. The second synagogue is used as a bank. The third stands empty and abandoned. Another large building in town, the Mir Yeshiva is still standing, in use today as a post office. The doors and window frames are painted bright aqua. Many houses and fences are painted aqua, greens, red and yellow. The main streets of town are paved. Many of the streets that were cobblestone in our grandparent's day are the same today. Side streets are dirt or mud, depending on the season. These streets are full of chickens and geese.
Farmers grow potatoes, cabbage and beets. There is no industry. No group of tradesmen and shopkeepers have come to Mir to replace the Jewish population of the past. There is no institute of higher learning to attract scholars from all over Europe.
Other photographs of Memorials in Mir
Updated March 2005
Return to Top
To Mir Site Index