Data Sources for
The following are places to start finding data for research on international
environmental politics. Obviously, there is much more info on the Web - these
are not complete or the best but are intended to provide
a jumping off point for research. Sources are split in categories that may
be helpful in thinking
about research structure. Thus, if you are interested in assessing
the effects of a treaty, you could read the treaty
text, look at the secretariat's web page, and see who the signatories
are. Then, look at government, NGO, and IGO pages to see what the
actors involved think. Then, look for environmental
indicators of treaty effects in different countries before and after the regime was signed. Then,
examine some economic indicators to see whether they can contribute to (or do a better job of) explaining any changes in environmental quality
International Environmental Politics (IEP)
Treaties, Regimes and Political Institutions
Indicators and Data
and Other Links
Largely Environmental Lists
More General Text Lists
Hardcopy sources (available in most US law schools)
- Kiss, Alexandre Charles, ed. 1983. Selected multilateral treaties in the field of the environment. Vol.
1. Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Programme.
- Rummel-Bulska, Iwona, and Seth Osafo, eds. 1991. Selected multilateral treaties in the field of the environment. Vol.
2. Nairobi: United Nations Environment Programme.
- Kiss, Alexandre Charles, and Dinah Shelton. 2000. International environmental law. 2nd ed. Ardseley, N.Y.: Transnational Publishers.
- Rüster, Bernd, and Bruno Simma. 1990. International protection of the environment, second series : treaties and related
documents. Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.: Oceana Publications.
- Rüster, Bernd, and Bruno Simma, eds. 1975. International protection of the environment: treaties and related
documents. Dobbs Ferry, NY: Oceana Publications.
- Burhenne, W. E. 1974. International environmental law: multilateral
treaties. Berlin: E. Schmidt.
- United Nations Environment Programme. 1996. Register of international treaties and other agreements in the field of the
environment. Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Program.
- Bernd Rüster, & Bruno Simma International protection of the environment : treaties and related documents, second series / compiled and edited by
Publisher Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. : Oceana Publications, (ISBN: 0379008491)
- Ruster & Simma, International protection of the environment
- Selected multilateral treaties in the field of the
environment edited by Alexandre Charles Kiss in 1983 and Vol. 2 edited
by Iwona Rummel-Bulska and Seth Osafin 1991.
Lists of Treaty Secretariats
Lists of Treaty Signatories
Lists of Governments
Lists of IGOs
(Issue Specific Indicators and Data - click here)
- UN Food & Ag.
Org. Database: good place tstart for agriculture, population, food,
forestry, fisheries, pesticides! Generates custom tables by year,
country, and environmental indicator
- UNFCCC Climate Emissions data -
tables Generates nice tables by country, year, gas, source, etc.
- CDIAC CO2
emissions by Country
- Fisheries: US Intl Trade
- Whaling: IWC Statistics
- European SOx,
NOx, VOCS, CO2, CH4, CO
- Ramsar List of
Wetlands of International Importance
Forestry charts and
Forestry statistics; by country but not by year. Forestry data is alsavailable from the UN-FAO's 2001: State of the World's Forests book
available in many libraries.
- Car and Motor Vehicle Emissions: Information and Statistics
- Gas and Electric: Understanding Hybrid Cars
Other Statistical Places to Check
Environment and Development
Environment and Trade
Environment and Security