Questions to Ponder - May 20
Shih, Pittinsky, & Ambady
1. Shih et al.'s article differs from past research on self-stereotyping in 2 ways - what are they?
2. What are some of the multiple social identities you have?
3. Who were the participants in these studies? How did the authors make the participants' different social identities salient?
4. What is striking about the math aptitude of the participants the sample in Study 1? Why does this make the results in Study 1 all the more impressive?
5. In what ways were the participants in Study 2 different from those in Study 1? Why is this important? How did it affect the results?6. How is this article relevant to the concept of "stereotype threat" that is discussed in your textbook?