Hellenistic natural philosophy
Greek civilization proper ended with the death of Alexander the
"Hellenistic civilization," an amalgam of Greek and Middle Eastern elements,
- 323 BC death of Alexander the Great.
- ~ 300 BC kings rule a divided empire
- ~ 300 BC Euclid mathematician. [~323 to ~285 BC]
- ~ 200's BC Aristarchus of Samos
- ~ 100's BC Hipparchus of Alexandria astronomer.
- ~ 100 BC Rome takes over most of the former empire.
- ~ 100's AD Ptolemy of Alexandria
ASTR 121 Home
Davison E. Soper, Institute of Theoretical Science,
University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403 USA