It is important to have information about students before you decide to use any form of technology requiring online interaction.
This student technology diagnostic provides a checklist of simple, starting point, items that students can provide you in a quick survey form. Adapted by Jennifer Freyd (Psychology) from Bertram Malle's (Psychology) original design.
To increase your chances of success, ask yourself the following questions:
- What are the computer access issues for students?
- How many students own their own computers and have access to the Internet?
- What type of system do the students own and what type of Internet access do they have (dial-up, broadband, campus high speed, etc.)?
- How many rely on a campus computer lab for access?
- How many experience significant difficulty in accessing a computer or dialing in from home for course assignments?
- Are the students knowledgeable about the proper software applications required to run the technology (Flash Media Player, QuickTime Media Player, Shockwave Media Player, Acrobat Reader, etc.)?
- Do the students know where to go to download and/or access the software, and can they install it?
- How will I ensure that students know how to use the various features of the Internet that will be required in this course?
(NOTE: The below links will open in a new browser tab or window)
- Do I have links set up in a help section of Blackboard to the proper software applications required to run the technology (Flash Media Player, QuickTime Media Player, Shockwave Media Player, Acrobat Reader, etc.)?
- If you are requiring specialized application knowledge (such as using facebook, Twitter, WordPress, etc.) do all the students have the proper knowledge level to utilize these other applications? Do students need extra training?
- Will I provide training for them by making arrangements with the Computing Center or the Library?
- Does my department have a lab and can students get training there?
- Should I contact the Social Sciences Instructional Lab to arrange a custom training session for my students?
- Would I be comfortable doing the training myself to insure consistency? If so, where will I do this? Campus Computer Labs.