travelnews: New Travel Process Invitation

March 5, 2003

To:             Department Travel Administrators

From:           Nancy Cameron
                 Associate Director, BAO
   6-2009 ncameron@oregon
                 Krista Borg
                 Quality Assurance Coordinator
   6-3120 kborg@oregon

RE:             New Travel Process - An Invitation

Over the past year, the Business Affairs Office has implemented some
changes in the travel program designed to improve the travel and
reimbursement process.  These changes include allowing use of the
procurement card for airfare purchase and hotel reservation deposit,
Internet airfare purchasing, and an improved web site for easier access to
information.

During our focus groups, department travel administrators expressed a
desire for more autonomy in travel reimbursements.  We also identified the
need for an electronic travel reimbursement form.  We believe that the
electronic form, coupled with some minimum training, will enable
departments to process travel reimbursements totally at the department
level, just as you have invoice processing authority now.

The electronic form offers many benefits to you as the travel
administrator.  Accessed through Duckweb, features of the form include
built-in meal and hotel per diems, automatic calculations, a "claiming
only" option, and automatic Banner invoice creation for certified
users.  The form may be used to estimate travel expenses when planning a
trip.  We also have the ability to give individual travelers access to the
form and after completion, they can forward the electronic form and
documentation to you for approval and processing. The form will also
accommodate a department that has a preparer of the reimbursement, and
someone else who approves.

We are rolling this feature out to campus through a new training
program.  The process will include 2 partial day training sessions
followed
by a training period in which you use the electronic form, and your work
is
checked by A/P (similar to the invoice training process).  After
successful
completion, if you choose, and your department head approves, you may be
"certified" to process and approve travel reimbursements at the department
level, and retain all documentation.

The next 3 training sessions are scheduled and open for enrollment on a
first come basis.  Training is held at the UO Training Room (located near
the DQ where FIS and HRIS training is held).  Each training consist of 2
parts.

March 19 9am - noon, March 20, 1 - 4:30 pm
April 21 9-12, April 22 1-4:30
April 30 9-12, May 1 1-4:30

You may sign up by contacting Judy Fossum 6-2387, baojudy@oregon

To view all TRAVELNEWS messages posted since October 31, 2001 visit our
archive at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~travel/travelnews/index.html