travelnews: Fraud Alert

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO ANYONE IN YOUR DEPARTMENT THAT MAY HAVE ONE OF THE
US BANK CORPORATE TRAVEL CARDS.

SECURITY ALERT - ADDITIONAL FRAUDULENT CARDHOLDER EMAILS

For the third time in three months, we have been notified that cardholders
are receiving fraudulent emails. These emails appear to come from U.S.
Bank or Visa. Just as in the prior two cases, these emails are an illegal
attempt by unknown persons to collect personal information and account
numbers.

These e-mails are random and are being sent using a spam list that
includes individuals who in many cases do not even have U.S. Bank
accounts. There has been no breach of any secure account information.

This type of email fraud, call "phishing" is under investigation by U.S.
Bank's Fraud Prevention and Investigation area in conjunction with Visa
and the Federal Bureau of Investigations. However, it is very difficult to
catch cyber-criminals, and so we believe that these fraudulent emails will
continue to be sent for some time.

There are several steps you can take to avoid becoming a victim of this
type of fraud:

Never give out your account number or other personal data to someone
who contacts you via phone or email. Both U.S. Bank and Visa already have
the information we need to maintain your account. We would never contact
you to ask for verification.

If you receive a fraudulent email, DO NOT REPLY to it under any
circumstances and furthermore, do not click on the link in the email.

To help track these cyber-criminals, the U.S. Bank Fraud Department
is requesting that anyone who has received a suspicious email send a copy
of it to  <mailto:fraud_help@usbank.com> fraud_help@usbank.com , along
with responses to the questions below:

*	Do you have an account relationship with U.S. Bank?

*	What Internet Service Provider (ISP) do you use?

*	What type of connection do you use to access the Internet? Cable,
dialup, DSL or other?

*	Do you have a firewall installed on your computer?

Please forward this to your Travel Card Holders.

To view all TRAVELNEWS messages posted since October 31, 2001 visit our
archive at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~travel/travelnews/index.html