travelnews: Mileage Rate

I have been getting a lot of emails and phone calls about the mileage rate being raised by the IRS to 58.5 cents per mile effective July 1, 2008.  Following is a message that we received from OUS concerning this announcement by the IRS.

Just a head's up to let you know that there will “possibly” be a change to the OUS mileage rate effective as early as July 1, 2008.

The IRS has announced a change to the Standard Mileage Rates for travel from July 1, 2008 through December 31, 2008 from the current 50.5 to 58.5 cents per mile.  It is our understanding that a change by the IRS enables (but does not require) the federal General Services Administration (GSA) to adjust the mileage rate for federal employees who drive personal vehicles on government business.  By policy, the OUS mileage rate mirrors the GSA rate (because the GSA rate is the rate that is allowed on federal grants and contracts).  We will be closely monitoring the GSA for adoption of the new IRS rates and will keep you informed of any change to the OUS mileage rates.

Carolyn Wooley

University of Oregon

Travel Coordinator

cwooley@uoregon.edu