travelnews: I-94 Forms for Foreign Visitors

The Department of Homeland Security has announced the elimination  of the paper arrival/departure form (Form I-94W) for authorized travelers from nations participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).  Visitors from VWP countries must now apply for admittance through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the United States.  Under implementing regulations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, applying for an ESTA became mandatory on January 12, 2009.  Following  a successful seven-month pilot program, the use of paper I-94W forms will be eliminated for VWP travelers with an approved ESTA by the end of the summer.  Here is a link to an article on the web for further information  http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1274366942074.shtm .

If you are paying for services or reimbursing a visitor from a VWP country with an approved ESTA, you will need to copy the page of their passport that has been date stamped and coded with their entry status for their current trip.  We will continue to use the I-94 for visitors from countries that are not included in the VWP.  The I-94 provides better documentation which displays the visitors name in addition to their current status.

Please direct any related questions to Dan Patten 6-4235.

Thank you.

BAO Financial Services

Carolyn Wooley

University of Oregon