Motion US04/05-2 – Communications between University Athletics and
the University Senate
Sponsored by: Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
Passed, as amended: By voice vote, University Senate, January 12, 2005
Whereas, the President’s Special Task Force on Athletics has made several recommendations regarding the relationship between the UO athletics department and academic programs, and;
Whereas, they have made recommendations to the President about steps that could be taken to further enhance that relationship;
Therefore, be it resolved by the University of Oregon University Senate that the university athletics director, the chair of the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC), and the faculty athletics representative should be invited annually to report to the University Senate.
(1) The athletics director shall provide a “State of the Athletics Department” report at the beginning of each winter term. This report should include information on:
a) issues related to student athlete welfare;
b) priorities for the athletics department (and the relation of these priorities to the university mission);
c) the financial status of the athletics department;
d) planned expansion, remodeling or removal of athletics facilities;
e) changes in the status of sports teams;
f) changes in facilities management that might affect the university community;
g) any major violations by the athletics department, and their resolutions;
h) possible roles for faculty governing bodies to assure that academic policies and practices are consistent with supporting the intellectual growth and academic success of student athletes and the viability of athletics as an integral part of campus life;
i) any others topics the athletics director deems relevant to the university community.
(2) The chair of the IAC shall provide an annual report to the University Senate during spring term. This report should cover IAC involvement on the issues stated above and an assessment of the consistency of athletic policies and practices with the academic mission of the university.
(3) The faculty athletics representative shall report to the University Senate during fall term. This report should serve to keep the senate informed on local and national changes in athletics and should also discuss key topics identified by the faculty athletics representative, the senate president, and the IAC chair.
(4) Each report should be followed by an open question and answer session.
(5) Additionally, all reports should be posted at the Senate web site 48 hours prior to the senate meeting and made available to all interested members of the university community.
The Task Force on Athletics was appointed in December 2001. In Spring, 2004, the Task Force presented the summary of their findings and 12 proposals to the Senate (available online at: http://uoregon.edu/~vpadmin/finalreport.htm). One of the key findings of the Task Force was that ‘ongoing dialogue is essential in order for all parts of the University of Oregon to work together in a common cause, in the pursuit of excellence both academic and athletic’. The IAC brings this motion forward as a way to enhance communication between the Athletics Department, the IAC, the Faculty Athletics Representative and the University community, and specifically address proposals 6, 7 and 8 of the Task Force Report.
|Web page spun on 21 January 2005 by Peter B Gilkey 202 Deady Hall, Department of Mathematics at the University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-1222, U.S.A. Phone 1-541-346-4717 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org of Deady Spider Enterprises|