Math 444/544 FALL 2011, Abstract Algebra, I, CRN 14178/14185
- Instructor: Victor Ostrik
- Office Hours for Fall 2011: MW 11am-noon, Deady 10B, or by appointment.
- Class meets: MWF 9am-9:50am, VILLARD 300.
- Book: J.B.Fraleigh "A First Course in Abstract Algebra", Addison Wesley,
7th edition, ISBN 0-201-76390-7
- Syllabus: in this class we will discuss (parts of)
chapters 1-5, that is theory of groups, rings and fields.
- Useful dates:
- Last day to drop class without W: Mon October 3.
- Last day to drop class with W: Sun November 13.
- Last day to add class: Wed October 5.
- Last day to change grading option: Sun November 13.
- Last day of classes: Fri December 2.
- Thanksgiving holiday: November 24-25.
- Tentative test dates:
- Midterm 1: 9am-9:50am Fri October 21, Villard 300.
- Midterm 2: 9am-9:50am Fri November 18, Villard 300.
- Final: 10:15am-12:15pm Mon December 5, Villard 300.
- Please remember that if you miss a class, it is
your responsibility to find out what happened in that class. You
can usually pick up any handouts from here .
- Grading: Homework 20%, midterms 20% each,
- Graduate students taking math 544:
According to Graduate School policies, graduate students are expected
to do approximately 30\% more work than undergraduates. Graduate
students in this course will, in addition to the above work,
complete a long-term Project. These projects will constitute writing
a paper on one of the advanced topics (see here).
The projects will be due on the last day of class, and they should
be designed in consultation with the instructor. An agreement between
student and instructor about what the Project will be should be in
place by the end of Week 5. Grades for graduate students in 544 will be:
Homework 15%, Midterm1 15%, Midterm2 15%, Final exam 35%, and Project 20%.
- You can look at your current grade on the
- Homework Assignments to be collected on WEDNESDAYS
from now on. Not all homework problems will be graded.
Late homework will not be accepted.
- List of lectures is available here.