Math 445/545 WINTER 2016, Abstract Algebra, II, CRN 23785/23794
- Instructor: Victor Ostrik
- Office Hours for Winter 2016: MW 11am-noon, Deady 10B, or by appointment.
- Class meets: MWF 1pm-1:50pm, Deady 303.
- Book: F.M.Goodman "Algebra. Abstract and Concrete", available here
- Other recommended books:
- J.A.Gallian "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"
- J.Rotman "First Course in Abstract Algebra"
- T.W.Judson "Abstract Algebra. Theory and Applications", available
- Syllabus: in this sequence we will cover most of the book
that is theory of groups, rings and fields. In the winter term we will
discuss more group theory and ring theory, Chapters 5-7.
- Useful dates:
- Last day to drop class without W: Mon January 11.
- Last day to drop class with W: Sun February 21.
- Last day to add class: Wed January 13.
- Last day to change grading option: Sun February 21.
- Last day of classes: Fri March 11.
- Martin Luther King holiday: Mon January 18.
- Tentative test dates:
- Midterm 1: 1pm-1:50pm Fri January 29, Deady 303.
- Midterm 2: 1pm-1:50pm Fri February 26, Deady 303.
- Final: 2:45pm-4:45pm Tue March 15, Deady 303.
- Please remember that if you miss a class, it is
your responsibility to find out what happened in that class. You
can usually pick up any handouts from here .
- Grading: Homework 20%, midterms 20% each,
- Graduate students taking math 544:
According to Graduate School policies, graduate students are expected
to do approximately 30\% more work than undergraduates. Graduate
students in this course will, in addition to the above work,
complete a long-term Project. These projects will constitute writing
a paper on one of the advanced topics (see here).
The projects will be due on the last day of class, and they should
be designed in consultation with the instructor. An agreement between
student and instructor about what the Project will be should be in
place by the end of Week 5. Grades for graduate students in 544 will be:
Homework 15%, Midterm1 15%, Midterm2 15%, Final Exam 35%, and Project 20%.
- You can look at your current grade on the
- Homework Assignments to be collected on WEDNESDAYS
from now on. Not all homework problems will be graded.
Late homework will not be accepted.
- List of lectures is available here.