Fairness in Testing
- Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education (2004) prepared by the Joint Committee on Testing Practices
- Aronson, J., M.J. Lustina, C. Good, K. Keough, C.M. Steele and J.
When White Men Can't Do Math: Necessary and Sufficient Factors in
Stereotype Threat, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.
- Cohen, G. L., Garcia, J., Apfel, N., Master, A., Reducing the racial
achievement gap: a social-psychological intervention, Science (journal) 313
(5791)(September 2006), 1307-1310.
- Dar-Nimrod, I. and Heine, S. J., Exposure to
Scientific Theories Affects Women’s Math Performance,
Science 20 October 2006: Vol. 314. no. 5798, p. 435
- C. Goldin and C. Rouse, Orchestrating Impartiality: The Impact of
“Blind” Auditions on Female Musicians, The American Economic Review, 90
no. 4 (2000), 715-741.
- Gonzales, P.M., Blanton, H., and Williams, K.J. The effects of
stereotype threat and double-minority status on the test performance of
Latino women. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28 (2002), 659-670.
- Keller, J., Blatant Stereotype threat and women’s math performance:
Self-handicapping as a strategic means to cope with obtrusive negative
performance expectations. Sex Roles, 47 (2002), 193-198.
- Keller, J. & Dauenheimer, D., Stereotype threat in the classroom:
Dejection mediates the disrupting threat effect on women’s math performance.
Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29 (2003), 371-381.
- Linn, M. and Kessel, C., Test bias, In Judith Worrell (Editor in Chief),
Encyclopedia of Women and Gender Academic Press, (2001), 1129-1140.
Download pdf file
- Linn, M. and Kessel, C., Gender and assessment, In Carol Goodheart & Judith Worell
(Eds.), Handbook of girls’ and women's psychological health: Gender and well-being across the
life span. New York: Oxford University Press, (2005).
Download pdf file
- Martensa, A., Johnsa, M. Greenberga, J., and Schimelb, J.,
Combating stereotype threat: The effect of self-affirmation on women’s
intellectual performance, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology,
Vol. 42, Issue 2 (2005), pp. 236-243
- McCornack, R.L., McLeod, M.M., Gender Bias in the Prediction of College
Course Performance, Journal of Educational Measurement, Vol. 25, No. 4
(1988) pp. 321-331.
- Shepard, L. , Camilli, G. , & Averill, M., Comparison of procedures
for detecting test-item bias with both internal and external ability
Journal of Educational Statistics, 6(4) (1981), 317-375.
- Shepard, L., Camilli, G., & Williams, D., Accounting for statistical
artifacts in item bias research. Journal of Educational Statistics, 9(2) (1984), 93-128.
- Shih, M., Pittinsky, T.L., & Ambady, Stereotype Susceptibility:
Identity Salience and Shifts in Quantitative Performance, N., Psychological
Science, Vol. 10, No. 1 (1999), pp. 80-83.
- Spencer, S.J., Steele, C.M., & Quinn, D.M. Stereotype threat and
women’s math performance. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 35
(1999) 4 - 28.
- Steele, C.M., & Aronson, J. Stereotype threat and the intellectual
test performance of African-Americans. Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology, 69 (1995), 797-811.
- Walton, G. M. and Cohen, G. L., Stereotype Lift, J. of
Experimental Social Psychology, 39 (2003), 456-467.
- Walton, G. M. and Spencer, S. J., Latent Ability: Grades and Test Scores Systematically Underestimate the
Intellectual Ability of Negatively Stereotyped Students, Psychological
no. 9 (2009), 1132-1139.
Download pdf file