Summer Institute Reading Lists
SIAP at the University of Oregon
July 7-12, 2014
Overview | Panels | Keynotes
cfp | Schedule | Paper Abstracts | Readings | #siapuo on twitter | Registration
Summer Institute Reading Lists for 2014 Seminar Sessions
The institute is organized primarily around our Seminar sessions. These panel sessions are plenary so that all attendeeds can participate together as a group. So as to facilitate discussion, seminar leaders have asked that attendees prepare in advance by reviewing the following readings. All participants are strongly encouraged to (re)familiarize themselves with the readings below.
Peirce Session Recommended Readings
Hybrid Political Theory Recommended Readings
- James, Varieties of Religious Experience (Lectures IV-V 'The Religion of Healthy-Mindedness" and Lectures VI-VII "The Sick Soul")
- James, Pragmatism (Lecture VIII "Pragmatism and Religion")
- Du Bois, The Souls of Black Folk (chapters 1, 4, 14)
- Sacvan Bercovtich, "The Ritual of Consensus" in The Rites of Assent: Transformations in the Symbolic Construction of America (New York: Routledge, 1993)
- George Shulman, "Hope in American Politics", Raritan vol 21 n 3 (2002): 1-19
- Jane Addams, "The Subjective Necessity for Social Settlements"
- Jane Addams, "The Subtle Problems of Charity"
- Carol Hay, "Consonances Between Pragmatism and Liberalism"
- Carol Hay, "Justice and Objectivity for Pragmatists"
- William Ernest Hocking, Rethinking Missions
- William Ernest Hocking, "America's World Purpose"
- Alison Jaggar, "Saving Amina: Global Justice for Women and Intercultural Dialogue"
- Charles Larmore, "What is Political Philosophy?"
- David Rondel, "Deweyan Democracy Defended"
- Robert Talisse, "Reply to Rondel"
- John Dewey, "Democracy is Radical"
Pragmatist Philosophy and African American-Literature Recommended Readings
- Beloved. By Toni Morrison. 1987.
- "The Future of Time: Literature and Diminished Expectations". By Toni Morrison. 1996.
- "The Site of Memory". By Toni Morrison. 1995.
- Baldwin: Collected Essays. Selected by Toni Morrison. Library of America. 1998.
- The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings. By James Baldwin. Edited by Randall Kenan. Vintage Books. 2011.
- James Baldwin and Toni Morrison: Comparative Critical and Theoretical Essays. Edited by Lovalerie King and Lynn Orilla Scott. Palgrave MacMillan. 2009.
- Walker's Appeal, in Four Articles; Together with a Preamble, to the Coloured Citizens of the World, but in Particular, and Very Expressly, to Those of the United States of America, Written in Boston, State of Massachusetts, September 28, 1829. By David Walker. Introduction by Sean Wilentz. Hill & Wang. 1995.
- White Man, Listen. By Richard Wright. 1964.
- ”The Ethics of Living Jim Crow.” In Uncle Tom’s Children. By Richard Wright. 1940.