Re: starship-design: NASA smells a warp drive?

>> I had been hearing bits and peices of this stuff for
>> the last couple of years. A physic paper here, a tech
>> journal bit there.  But this is the first time anyone
>> was seriuosly trying to focus this stuff toward a goal.
>> Namely space travel.
>
>> Hope some of it pans out.  Certainly could change the
>>  nature of our tech arguments.  <We can assume
>> Inertia inhibiters and cut the fuel ration by a
>>factor of 40....>   ;)

> Or it may be as exotic as generating anti-matter?

Or as trivial as generating a laser beam.  Who can tell?

> Assuming that the basic conservation law of energy
> is not broken, we still need a lot of energy.  If for
> example we would know how to make a wormhole,
> then the question would remain if we had enough
> energy and power to really do it.

> In that case the mass ratios would be similar to
> my anti-matter numbers.

You might ned a lot of energy, but it could be wildly different from the anti
matter ones, or it could violate our curent understanding of the basic
conservation law of energy.  Weirder things have happened.

> Only the following two would be a help:
> -Induced motion of spacetime itself
> -To tap into vacume fluctuation energy
> but they would render all conservation laws useless.

Or innertia suppresion could eliminate most of the energy need to accelerate
an object.

Kelly

Tim