Re: starship-design: Battleship galactica?

Hi Gertie,

>>We are not designing your regular "Battleship Galactica"-type of starship.
>>It's not likely that we will have that much energy and energy to waste.
>
>Well... if we had oxygen regeneration aboard the ship, I know it can be done,
>I mean with about a whole deck of plants, or some other way, it can be done

*IF* we had oxygen regeneration. That 'if' can only be true when we have
some energy source. Hence the problem is back to: From where do we get the
energy/power?

BTW. Are you suggesting the oxygen is used for human breathing? If so, that
problem is one of our smallest. The energy that we humans use is quite
little compared to the energy used by the engines that propell the ship.
Eg. A 90HP car engine at full power uses roughly 500 times more power than a
human does.

>>Why use a secondary engine in front? Just do a quick 180 degree rotation
>>around one of the three axis and then fire your normal backside engine
>>again.
>
>So we can have the ship look like a disc, one part swivels around the ship,
>propelling the ship the way we wish it to go. Interesting concept. Any other
>opinions?

Not part of the ship turns around. I assumed this ship was small and thus
could easely turn around as a whole. Note that after having turned around,
it is flying backwards.

Timothy