Math 446/546 SPRING 2012, Abstract Algebra, III, CRN 34165/34173
- Instructor: Victor Ostrik
- Office Hours for Spring 2012: MWF 1pm-2pm, Deady 10B, or by appointment.
- Class meets: MWF 9am-9:50am, Deady 209.
- Book: J.B.Fraleigh "A First Course in Abstract Algebra", Addison Wesley,
7th edition, ISBN 0-201-76390-7.
- Syllabus: Ideals in rings, extensions of fields and Galois theory,
advanced group theory (Fraleigh, Chapters V-VII and X)
- Useful dates:
- Last day to drop class without W: Mon April 9.
- Last day to drop class with W: Sun May 20.
- Last day to add class: Wed April 11.
- Last day to change grading option: Sun May 20.
- Last day of classes: Fri June 8.
- Memorial Day holiday: Mon May 28.
- Tentative test dates:
- Midterm 1: 9am-9:50am Fri April 27, Deady 209.
- Midterm 2: 9am-9:50am Fri May 25, Deady 209.
- Final: 10:15am-12:15pm Tue June 12, Deady 209.
- Please remember that if you miss a class, it is
your responsibility to find out what happened in that class. You
can usually pick up any handouts from here .
- Grading: Homework 20%, midterms 20% each,
- Graduate students taking math 546:
According to Graduate School policies, graduate students are expected
to do approximately 30\% more work than undergraduates. Graduate
students in this course will, in addition to the above work,
complete a long-term Project. These projects will constitute writing
a paper on one of the advanced topics (see here).
The projects will be due on the last day of class, and they should
be designed in consultation with the instructor. An agreement between
student and instructor about what the Project will be should be in
place by the end of Week 5. Grades for graduate students in 544 will be:
Homework 16%, Midterm1 16%, Midterm2 16%, Final Exam 32%, and Project 20%.
- You can look at your current grade on the
- Homework Assignments to be collected on WEDNESDAYS
from now on. Not all homework problems will be graded.
Late homework will not be accepted.
- List of lectures is available here.