Publications: Equity/Bias in Merit Raise Reviews and Salaries
- American Association of University Professors, 2004-05 Report on the economic status of the profession: Inequities persist for women and non-tenure-track faculty (2005).
- American Association of University Women, Gender Pay Gap Remains at 20 Cents, September 12, 2017.
- Evaluating Faculty:Faculty Annual Review Guidelines (University of Michigan)
- Balkin, D. B., & Gomez-Mejia, L. R., Explaining the gender effects on faculty pay increases: Do the squeaky wheels get the grease? Group & Organization Management, 27(3) (2002), 352-373.
- C. C. Bauer and B. B. Baltes, Reducing the effects of gender stereotypes on performance evaluations, Sex Roles, vol. 47, nos. 9/10, 465-476 (2002).
- S. Bernard, Why His Merit Raise is Bigger Than Hers, Harvard Business Review, April 2012.
- D. Blackaby, A. L. Booth, & J. Frank, Outside Offers and the Gender Pay Gap: Empirical Evidence from the UK Academic Labour Market, The Economic Journal, vol. 115 (February), F81-F107 (2005).
- T. Bingham, S. J. Nix, Women Faculty in Higher Education: A Case Study on Gender Bias, Forum on Public Policy (2010).
- H. R. Bowles & L. Babcock, Are Outside Offers an Answer to the Compensation Negotiation Dilemma for Women?, Academy of Management Proceedings, August 2009.
- H. R. Bowles & L. Babcock, How Can Women Escape the Compensation Negotiation Dilemma: Relational Accounts Are One Answer, Psychology of Women Quarterly, vol 37, no. 1, 80 - 96 (2012)
- H. R. Bowles, L. Babcock, & L. Lai, Social incentives for gender differences in the propensity to initiate negotiations: Sometimes it does hurt to ask, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes vol. 103, 84-103 (2006).
- D. Britton, Beyond the Chilly Climate: The Salience of Gender in Women’s Academic Careers, Gender & Society, vol. 31, no. 1, 5-27 (2017)
- Burke, K., Duncan, K., Krall, L., & Spencer, D., Gender differences in faculty pay and faculty salary compression. Social Science Journal, 42(2) (2005), 165-181.
- P. S. Carlin, M. P. Kidd, P. M. Rooney, and B. Denton, Academic Wage Structure by Gender:The Roles of Peer Review, Performance,
and Market Forces, Southern Economic Journal 2013, vol. 80, no. 1, 127-146 (2013).
- E. Castillo & S. Benard, The Paradox of Meritocracy in Organizations, Administrative Science Quarterly, vol. 55, 543-576 (2010).
- Chronicle of Higher Education Salary Comparison, Online here
- T. H. Curry, Faculty performance reviews, Effective Practices for Academic Leaders, vol.1, no. 2, 1-16 (2006).
- A. H. Eagly & D. I. Miller, Scientific Eminence:Where Are the Women?, Perspectives on Psychological Science, vol. 11, no. 6, 899-904 (2016)
- M. M. Ferree & J. McQuillan, Gender-Based Pay Gaps: Methodolgical and Policy Issues in University Salary Studies, Gender &l Society, vol. 12, no. 1, 7-39 (1998)
- Piper Fogg, The Gap that won't go away: women continue to lag behind men in pay; the reasons may have little to do with gender bias, Chronicle of Higher Education, 49 (32), April 18, 2003, A12.
- C. Goldin, S. Pekkala Kerr, C. Olivetti, E. Barth, The Expanding Gender Earnings Gap: Evidence from the LEHD-2000 Census, American Economic Review, vol. 107, no. 5, May 2017, 110-114.
- J. H. Greenhaus, and S. Parasuraman, Job performance attributions and career advancement prospects: An examination
of gender and race effects, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes vol. 55, 273-297 (1993).
- C. M. Guarino & V. M. H. Borden, Faculty Service Loads and Gender: Are Women Taking
Care of the Academic Family?, Research in Higher Education, 1-23, April 5, 2017.
- J. Guo, Why Men Get All The Credit When They Work With Women, Washington Post, November 13, 2015.
- D. Hopper, Kacey Beddoes, University of Massachusetts Lowell-Wage Gap, The Academic Minute, November 7, 2017.
- T. A. Huston,
Race and Gender Bias in Higher Education: Could Faculty Course Evaluations Impede Further Progress Toward Parity?, Seattle Journal for Social Justice, vol. 4, no. 2, May 1, 2006.
- R. Jagsi, K. A. Griffith, A. Stewart, D. Sambuco, R. DeCastro, &l P. A. Ubel, Gender Differences in Salary in a Recent Cohort of Early-Career Physician Researchers, Acad. Med., vol. 88, no. 11, (2013).
- L. A. Krefting, Intertwined discourses of merit and gender: Evidence from academic employment in the USA. Gender, Work & Organization, 10(2) (2003), 260-278.
- H. M. Lips, The Gender Pay Gap: Challenging the Rationalizations. Perceived Equity, Discrimination, and the Limits of Human Capital Models, Sex Roles, vol 68, 169-185 (2013).
- K. O’Meara, J. Fink, & D. K. White-Lewis, Who’s Looking? Examining the Role of Gender and Rank in Faculty Outside Offers, NASPA Journal About Women in Higher Education, vol. 10, no. 1 (2017).
- C. C. Miller, The Gender Pay Gap is Largely Because of Motherhood, NY Times, May 13, 2017.
- L. Perna, Sex differences in faculty salaries: A cohort analysis. Review of Higher Education 21(4) (2001), 315-342.
- L. A. Renzulli, J. Reynolds, K. Kelly, L. Grant, Pathways to Gender Inequality in Faculty Pay:The Impact of Institution, Academic Division, and Rank, Research in Social Stratification and Mobility vol. 34, 58-72 (December 2013).
- U. Schulze, The Gender Wage Gap Among PhDs in the UK, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 39, 599–629 (2015).
- C.B. Travis, L.J. Gross, & B. A. Johnson, Tracking the gender pay gap: A case study. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 33 (2009), 410–418.
- Unger & Crawford, Women and Gender: A feminist psychology, McGraw-Hill (1996).
- V. Valian, Beyond gender schemas:Improving the advancement of women in academia. Hypatia, 20(3), 198-213 (2005).