Description of Monthly Aggregate Steel Data, 1980 through 1999
This spreadsheet file contains information on monthly data of domestic industry and import
activity from 1980 through 1999 for aggregate steel activity (no product level detail). The variable set includes
- Domestic shipments and price index.
- Other steel industry variables including capacity utilization, wages, and percent of production by electric arc furnaces and continuous casting.
- Price indexes for important inputs such as iron ore, coal, scrap, oil, and electricity.
- Price indexes for important substitute goods including aluminum and plastic.
- Macroeconomic variables such as industrial production, GDP, and exchange rates.