U.S. Steel Industry Database
U.S. Steel Data and Documentation
The following are links to data and documentation on the U.S. steel industry from 1980 through 1999, collected by the author of this page, Bruce Blonigen (University of Oregon), Benjamin Liebman (St. Joseph's University) and Wes Wilson (University of Oregon). This work is generously supported by the National Science Foundation (Grant number 27-3383-00-0-79-636) and the data are free to anyone and downloadable from this page.
This page is preliminary and we expect updates throughout our grant period which extends through the summer of 2006.
U.S. Monthly Aggregate Steel Data, 1980-1999
U.S. Annual Steel Product Panel Data, 1980-1999
Other U.S. Steel Websites
Recent Working Papers on the Steel Industry
NBER Working Papers (you can download these papers if your institution has a subscription)
- NBER Paper 13671: "Trade Policy and Market Power: The Case of the US Steel Industry" by Bruce A. Blonigen, Benjamin H. Liebman, and Wesley W. Wilson, December 2007.
- NBER Paper 11798: "Foreign Subsidization and Excess Capacity" by Bruce A. Blonigen and Wesley W. Wilson, November 2005.
- NBER Technical Paper 0278: "Econometric Methods for Endogenously Sampled Time Series: The Case of Commodity Price Speculation in the Steel Market" by George Hall and John Rust, August 2002.
- NBER Paper 8306: "Opportunity Counts: Teams and the Effectiveness of Production Incentives" by Brent Boning, Casey Ichniowski, and Kathryn Shaw, May 2001.
- NBER Paper 7640: "Could the U.S. Iron Industry Have Survived Free Trade After the Civil War?" by Douglas A. Irwin, April 2000.
- NBER Paper 7638: "How Did the United States Become a Net Exporter of Manufactured Goods?" by Douglas A. Irwin, April 2000.
- NBER Paper 7378: "Antidumping Investigations and the Pass Through of Exchange Rates and Antidumping Duties" by Bruce A. Blonigen and Stephen E. Haynes, October 1999.
- NBER Paper 6835: "Did Late Nineteenth Century Tariffs Promote Infant Industries? Evidence from the Tinplate Industry" by Douglas A. Irwin, December 1998.
Other Recent Downloadable Working Papers
Researchers with Recent Work on the Steel Industry
Trade Data and Policy Links
Department of Economics
1285 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403