travelnews: Secure Flight Program Info

Here is some information that came from Journeys by Ambassador Travel which is one of our contract travel agencies.  If you have questions about these new procedures, I would suggest you call the travel agent that you purchase your airfare tickets through.

Secure Flight Program Update

Enhancements are being made to the Secure Flight program. The TSA will require all airline reservations to include the following information for each traveler:

Full Legal Name
As it appears on the government issued ID that will be presented at the airport:

Date of birth

Gender

We are in the process of updating our travelers' personal profiles to include this information. We have designed a web site form that will allow you to send us this information quickly. To access the form, please go to:
www.jbatravel.com.com/Profile-Update

Please take a moment to review the government issued document you intend to use for ID. It may be necessary to update the way your reservations are currently confirmed to ensure that the name exactly matches your government issued ID. You also may need to update your frequent traveler accounts to ensure that the name exactly matches your government issued ID. If the name does not match, it may prevent accumulation of frequent traveler points.

Below is a review of the Secure Flight Program:

  • Secure Flight is a program developed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in response to a 9/11 Commission recommendation. The mission of the Secure Flight program is to enhance the security of domestic and international commercial air travel through the use of improved watch list matching. As our valued client, we would like to make you aware of how this will affect you and the key dates that these changes will be in effect. This is the most current information as provided by ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) and is subject to changes imposed by the TSA.
  • Immediately - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will require that the full name as it appears on the government issued ID that will be presented at the airport, exactly match the name a reservation is confirmed in.
  • August 15, 2009 - All domestic airlines will be required to request Secure Flight Data for every passenger. This includes full name as it appears on the government issued ID that will be presented at the airport, date of birth, and gender.
  • October 31, 2009 - All international airlines will be required to request Secure Flight Data for every passenger as noted above.
  • The airlines will be required to submit this information to the TSA. In order to ensure a smooth and expedited airport check in process, we will be able to send this information to the airlines in advance.

Carolyn Wooley

University of Oregon

Travel Coordinator

cwooley@uoregon.edu