Re: starship-design: Suspended Animation

Kelly,
    Ship repair is an "easy" task for neural nets. You have a "target" state and
the possible "paths" (methods, tools, etc.) to get there. "experience" databases
and expert system AIs pare the alternatives down giving "weights" for each
procedure - building the branches of your logic tree(s). It is a big problem
divided into a lot of simple parts.
    Something similar happens today with IBM and other companies where the
technician reads troubleshooting and repair procedure step-by-step from a screen /
pad / whatever, being shunted to "higher-level" servers when rarer problems are
encountered. At the top end end of this line, when a solution has not been found,
lies top-notch human assistance. Aircraft mechanics work a lot like that.
Auto-company car mechanics work like that.
    The problem today isnt "logic" or problem-solving. The problem is real-world
sensing.
    The human technicians main job in this case is to provide real-world sensing
and "common-sense". This is stiil too costly or incipient to put machines on it in
everyday chores. Prototypes are being developed-used for nuclear plant and
electric utility plant special jobs in very hazardous environments. But we already
have seeing robots, flying-object catching robots, walking robots, best path
choosing robots, face-fingerprint-handwriting recognition systems... etc. - and
"common-sense" systems are coming along quite nicely.
    By 2010 they will have become useful / cheap enough for supply to fuel demand
to fuel supply to fuel demand... and so on.

    Even in emergencies, the multiplying effect of AI, robots etc. will ensure
that you will be able to do without the vast amounts of people needed today to
operate and maintain fleet. They will also buy you buffer-time, doing the
grunt-work and basic troubleshooting routines, enabling the humans to concentrate
on the problem instead of "chasing consequences" when something goes wrong.

Antonio