RE: starship-design: Suspended Animation

Antonio,

Once upon a time I used to provide a great deal of computer hardware to
Lockheed Space Operation's AI research unit. One of my best friends from
school runs the operation and I can tell you that AI is a lot more difficult
than commonly believed. The hardware is really the smallest part of the
problem. Software is the real killer.

Software development has always lagged behind hardware development and
always will. It is not necessary to even develop an aware AI, simply one
that can be depended upon to perform its job reliably time after time after
time, no matter what input it is presented with. At the moment it is too
easy to crash AI software by presenting it with input it was not programmed
to handle. In a lab this is inconvenient, on a space craft, it could be
terminal.

Nevertheless, we have made great strides in recent years and I fill
confident that AI will play some role, even if it is not as great as you
envision.

Lee